Uitgebreid zoeken

Energy Proficiency Certificates

Geplaatst op door



What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

 Energy Performance Certificates (EPC’s), or as they are properly called, Certificado de Eficiencia Energética (CEE), are documents which will show how energy efficient your home is displayed as a rating from A to G. Much like the stickers you see on things such as fridge freezers, washing machines or air conditioning units, the Energy Performance Certificate in Spain gives the property a standard energy and carbon emission efficiency grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’, where ‘A’ is the most efficient and ‘G’ is the least efficient.


Who needs an Energy Performance Certificate? 

After 1st June 2013 every domestic property for sale or long term rent needs to have an Energy Performance Certificate in Spain. This does not  apply to properties that are currently rented out on a long term basis. These only require an Energy Performance Certificate when a new tenancy is agreed.


Are there any exceptions? 

If you have a long term tenant in place you do not need an Energy Performance certificate in Spain. If your property was built after October 2007 you may find that you already have a Spanish Energy Performance Certificate. To check this, look on your plans to find the architect and contact him. Likewise, if you only rent your property out on a short term basis (ie as holiday rentals) you may not need an EPC in Spain.


Will I be able to rent or sell my house without an EPC? 

No. After 1st June 2013 you will be required by law to present your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain when your property is for sale or long term  rent. When you sell your house the Notary will need the original EPC and when you rent your house the tenant will have to be given a copy of your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain.


When will this come into effect? 

The law was formalised on the 5th April 2013 and will take effect on the 1st June 2013. You will be expected to comply as soon as possible after this date. This applies to properties currently offered for sale or new rentals and for properties new to the market. Whether your property is for sale or rent you will have to have a Spanish Energy Performance Certificate in place before your property can be advertised. This does not apply to current long term rentals. If you already have a long term tenant in your property then you do not need the EPC in Spain until you have a new tenancy.


Who can issue the Energy Certificate? 

Only certified and registered assessors are able to issue the Energy Performance Certificate in Spain. This includes architects, technical architects and some engineers. In the South of Tenerife, we know that the following web address has been recommended to The TPG as providing good value:



How can I get an Energy Performance Certificate for my property?


You will need to contact a registered assessor who will be able to assist you in getting your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain.


How much does an EPC cost? 

The cost depends on the size of your property so you would need to contact a registered assessor for further information. Payment is due once the Energy Certificate has been issued. You do not need to pay in advance for your Energy Performance Certificate.


Who has to pay for the Certificate? 

Ultimately the owner of the property will have to pay for the Certificate. What if I get a low rating on my EPC? Along with your Energy Performance Certificate you will receive a report giving advice on how to improve your property’s energy rating. The report will recommend cost effective measures which could be undertaken to improve the energy rating of the property. It will also contain information about the rating that could be achieved if all the recommendations were implemented.


Why have Energy Performance Certificates been introduced?

The EPC has its roots in the Kyoto Protocol which was a worldwide initiative introduced in 1997 to address the issue of Greenhouse gases. Since then the European Union has formulated the European Directive for the Energy Performance of Buildings, which applies to all member states, with a clearly defined timetable of the measures that must be introduced. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a certificate which demonstrates the energy rating of a building. It forms part of the ‘Energy Performance of Buildings Directive’ (EPBD).


How is the rating on my EPC in Spain worked out? 

A Registered Energy Assessor will visit your property and take measurements and recordings from things such as your air conditioning, your hot water system, type of windows fitted, type of insulation, type of construction and so on. The readings taken will then be entered on-line into one of the Governments approved programmes which will generate the rating for your property giving its energy efficiency and environmental impact. The programmes used are the same for all properties so a potential buyer or tenant will be able see the projected energy costs for each property viewed. Your Energy Performance Certificate in Spain will be registered in the Catastro reference for your property. 


Can I get an EPC before 1st June 2013? 

Yes although the law is not due to come in until 1st June you can book for your Energy Certificate in Spain before this date.


Do I need an EPC if I only rent my property out for holiday lets? 

Yes In general you do still need an EPC in Spain even if you only rent your property out for holiday lets, although there are exceptions.


What if I rent my property out through an agent?

Either you or your agent will need to obtain a Spanish Energy Certificate for your property for long term rentals or sale. An agent will not be legally allowed to offer your property for long term rent or sale without a Certificate.


Can I advertise my property without an Energy Certificate? 

No. As from 1st June 2013 you will need an Energy Performance Certificate in Spain to be able to advertise your property for sale or rent.


How long is the Energy Performance Certificate valid?

The Energy Performance Certificate in Spain lasts for 10 years.


What if I make changes to my property?


You can have your property re-assessed at any time during the currency of your EPC.


What if I have an existing tenant? 

If you have an existing long term tenant you do not need an EPC in Spain. However, when you issue a new tenancy agreement you need the EPC for the incoming tenant.


Can I get into trouble if I do not have an EPC? 

The government has said they will fine people that have a property for sale or rent that does not have an EPC. Fines of between €3,000 and €600,000 can be given to any person who requires one, but has not applied. This includes agents as well as private individuals.

0 reacties

Reacties gesloten.